Saturday, March 8, 2014

Current Events - Computer Issues

I'm *SO* not having a good time :( Firstly before anyone has a fit, there was an update as promised to my site yesterday, I'll post about that later.

Now for the current event... my desktop, we suspect due to a problem with power some how as it has been dodgy since I had it moved from a mini to mid tower so I could upgrade my graphic card, has started to die a VERY painful death yesterday. Any where from 5min to 45mins it will just out of the blue up and reset. Sometimes it would go and reset ok and other times I have to repower it up to 10x's before it'll boot right (also why we suspect power issues). This started with one of these sudden reboots the night before last and just got 100x's worse the next day.

Butttttt, thank goodness, I have my laptop as a backup machine (or I would have stolen Camera Mans and made him go back to using his Imac :P) but it has *NOT* been a fun time installing and configuring this machine to do as I need it to at least to get us til the middle of the year.

I'm still working on getting at least the minimal stuff I need for getting site stuff back on it and running for what I need to work my website. But I have to admit going from a dual core system with 2x's the ram/memory to a single processor and quite a lot less in the speed department is not at all amusing. I look forward to both getting back to working and for July to come. When Camera Man and I get some extra summer pay we're going to go back to the place that we went to about 10yrs ago that custom built our first desktop which is still, if barely, alive and kicking as of this day (it needs to have a new hard drive installed and windows reinstalled but otherwise everything still works even if it's slow as molasses :P We use that system to watch movies and such on as it's the only machine that can still hook up to our old tube style TV... yea yea we still use one. Why throw out or replace a piece of expensive equipment if it does what we need and isn't broken??

So now I'm trying to come to grips that my pour laptop having more cords coming out of it then a by-pass machine, that it's slow as shit despite being newer then my desktop and pray that July comes quickly. I am almost set up though to be able to do all I need for the site... I just need patience when it comes to the program running and know that when I get to editing videos, that I won't expect to be doing much else while that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment